Posted by Dr. Ranjani Karthik
Before we answer the question of whether Ayurvedic treatment can provide a lasting or permanent solution for PCOD and PCOS, we need to understand why more and more women are turning to Ayurveda to manage or cure these conditions
In the past two years, particularly since the start of the pandemic, the number of women seeking Ayurvedic treatment for PCOD/PCOS has risen by more than 200%, according to a survey conducted by UWAY among Ayurvedic doctors in several cities across India, including Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kochi, and Gurgaon. Interestingly, some doctors reported an even higher percentage of women seeking Ayurvedic treatment than what we have mentioned here
Why are more women seeking Ayurveda treatment for PCOD/PCOS
Treatment of PCOD/ PCOS treatment is complex and time consuming. There are several parameters that are considered for PCOD/ PCOS treatments. In Allopathy treatment the emphasis is on managing the conditions/ symptoms that are concerning the patient.
Some of the major symptoms/ concerns in PCOD/ PCOS are
- Acne (Primary reason why women seek immediate medical treatment for PCOD)
Some of the medications prescribed in Allopathy for treating PCOD/PCOS include:
- Progestin therapy or birth-control pills to help regulate the periods.
- Anti-estrogen medication to lower the oestrogen levels
- Medicines to stimulate the ovaries
- Hormone medicines like Gonadotropins
- And separate medicines are prescribed to improves insulin resistance and lowers insulin levels with additional medication for excess hair growth & acne
The treatment for PCOD/PCOS can be very taxing, and women with these conditions commonly face a range of psychological issues, such as anxiety, depression, low self-esteem, and concerns about their body image. The symptoms associated with PCOS, such as changes in physical appearance, irregular menstrual cycles, and fertility issues, can be distressing for patients. Women with PCOD/PCOS may also experience social withdrawal and feelings of isolation. Furthermore, the hormonal imbalances associated with these conditions can exacerbate mood swings and emotional instability, making it challenging to manage these psychological issues.
Ayurveda has certain advantages over Allopathy when it comes to treating PCOD/PCOS
- In 90% of the patients Ayurveda can offer a permanent solution for PCOD & PCOS. Allopathy helps several management options for PCOS, but Ayurveda provides the potential for a permanent cure.
- Ayurveda treatment for PCOD and PCOS do not have any side-effects compared to the long term treatment methods which are followed in Allopathy
- Ayurveda has a holistic approach in the treatment of PCOD/ PCOS and considers both psychological and biological parameters of the patient.
- A good Ayurveda doctor spends a considerable time with the patient understanding the family history, relationships, especially with the spouse and also other psychosomatic triggers which may affect the overall health.
- Ayurveda attempts to correct the body by rebalancing the “doshas’ ‘ making it a unique option for treating PCOS.
- Treatment duration may vary based on the severity of PCOS. At UWAY it is noticed that a minimum of 3 months of treatment is required for the patient to start showing improvements.
- In 80% of cases, the treatment for PCOD/PCOS involves a combination of oral medication, lifestyle changes, and periodic counseling with the doctor, allowing patients to follow the treatment comfortably and privately at home
Preparing for Your appointment with an Ayurvedic Doctor to consult for PCOS: Tips and Advice
We recommend that patients keep the following in mind before their Ayurveda consultation, even though different doctors may have different approaches.
- It is noticed that most of the patients consult Ayurveda after they have already undergone some treatment or consultation with an Allopathic doctor. Though this trend is changing at UWAY we have noticed that 75% of the patients fall into this category.
- If you have already undergone treatment or consultation it’s helpful if you can provide all the medial records which includes prescriptions, test reports etc
- Ayurveda treats PCOS holistically, which means the duration of the consultation will be relatively longer. So it’s better to ensure you block at least 45 minutes for consultation.
- A holistic approach involves looking beyond your physical condition and taking into account your family history, as well as other psychosomatic triggers in your work and personal life. Having an open discussion with your doctor will ensure that they are able to plan the treatment appropriately for the best results
- Involve your spouse in your treatment process, as Ayurveda emphasizes the importance of creating a congenial atmosphere at home for optimal healing, and the support of your family can play a critical role in a woman’s journey to curing PCOS